You'll learn about:
- Communicating LIHTC regulations and processes to applicants, residents, owners, auditors, and agency representatives
- Unit eligibility and calculating fractions, maximum rent and utility allowances
- Preparing for physical inspections, mapping a property and maintaining compliance
- Documenting income limits, developing re-certification schedules and processing re-certification
- Reviewing rent limit calculations, monitoring utility allowance revisions and applying the 140% rule
- Resolving noncompliance and preparing for audits
- Creating and managing records and retaining files and documentation
- Accommodating accessibility requests.
SHCM® is offered in association with the National Affordable Housing Management Association (NAHMA).
Development of the SHCM® exam was based on an exacting process established for national certification programs to ensure the exam is a reliable and pyschometrically valid testing tool for its subject matter. NAHMA retained a well-respected third-party consultant to assist in this process. To learn how the SHCM exam was developed, view the full report. The test questions on the SHCM exam are reviewed and updated on an annual basis. The SHCM online proctor exam voucher form can be found here. The fee to take the exam is $125.
To obtain the SHCM credential, candidates must complete the following:
- Minimum of 12 hours of housing credit specific coursework or training from an approved provider* within two years of taking the SHCM exam
- Minimum of two years of housing credit management employment experience
- Successful completion of all SHCM coursework and exam
Enroll in the Program
Take the first step to earn your SHCM credential in two different ways! You can sign up for an exam prep course with your local or state affiliate or purchase NAAEI's online Tax Credit Property Management course.
Option 1: Find a course at your local or state affiliate.
Option 2: Purchase the online Tax Credit Property Management course at www.gowithvisto.org.
Members: $549, Non-Members: $646.
For more information please contact [email protected]
Don't Forget to Claim Your Digital Badge!
Once you have earned the SHCM credential, you will receive an email from ProExam Vault with an invitation to claim your Digital Badge, which allows you to market yourself as an apartment professional with valuable skills.
Renewing your SHCM Credential:
SHCM certification is valid for one year and must be renewed annually each September. Renewal consists of six hours of housing credit specific coursework or training by an approved provider* per year plus renewal fee.
For more information about the Specialist in Housing Credit Management credential or to request an application, visit NAHMA. org or call the NAHMA SHCM Program Manager at 703-683-8630
*The Affordable Housing Management Associations (AHMAs) are approved providers; view a complete list of regional, state and local AHMAs. The NAA and its affiliated organizations are also approved providers.
® Specialist in Housing Credit Management is Registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office