NAA’s Diversity Leadership Program (DLP) provides up to 15 individuals of diverse backgrounds an opportunity to develop as a leader in the rental housing industry. Participants who are considered junior to mid-level (3-7 years in rental housing) will gain leadership experience through mentoring, and training as part of the yearlong program. The program is a crucial aspect of the NAA’s leadership diversification strategy intended to identify, mentor and engage individuals from underrepresented minority groups.
Upon completion of the Diversity Leadership Program, participants will be able to:
- Gain understanding and comfort of your cultural background.
- Learn how unconscious bias’ impact your view of others and interactions with them.
- Develop insight on how you can contribute to D&I efforts at your company.
- Advance your leadership and communication skills to position yourself for success in a diverse world.
- Learn how to facilitate healthy conversations around diversity in the workplace.
- Develop a personalized career growth plan to achieve a leadership role within the rental housing industry
NAA will begin accepting applications for the Class of 2023 on September 19, 2022. If you would like to be notified when the next application period opens, please email [email protected].
Diversity Leadership Program participants are required to attend monthly virtual sessions and NAA's Apartmentalize Conference.
- March 6 - November 3, 2023: Monthly Virtual Sessions (Education Sessions, Reading Discussions, Capstone Calls and Mentor Calls)
- June 7-9, 2023: Apartmentalize (Atlanta, GA)
Note: All selected candidates are responsible for travel expenses for attending Apartmentalize.
If accepted, DLP participants will receive the following benefits:
- A 100% virtual leadership development opportunity that incorporates training, personalized assessments, and mentoring tailored specifically for underrepresented groups in rental housing.
- Complimentary registration to NAA’s Apartmentalize on June 7-9, 2023 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Assigned a mentor who is a leader in the rental housing industry and will be involved in regular mentorship calls.
- Opportunity to participate on a committee at the national or local level.
- Applications will be reviewed based on letter of recommendations, personal statement, and program commitment during the review period in late January.
- All selections will be made by members of NAA's Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee.
- Personal Statement
- Professional Reference
- Support by Supervisor
- Considered Junior to Mid-Level Career (3-7 years in rental housing) from an Underrepresented Group
- Employed a Minimum of Three Years in the Rental Housing Industry
- NAA membership is required
September 19, 2022: Applications Open
November 18, 2022: Applications Due
November 28, 2022- January 4, 2023: Application Review
January 11, 2023: Selected Applicants Notified
TBD: Diversity Leadership Program Kick-Off Call
Mentoring is a vital to the Diversity Leadership Program participants success. If you are interested in serving as a mentor for one of the 2023 participants, please contact Sara Keene for more information.
Meet the Class of 2022
Members of NAA’s Diversity Leadership Program, Class of 2022 are the next generation of leaders with a lot of ideas for the rental housing industry.
Class of 2021
- Jordan Campbell | Community Manager, Shippy Properties | San Antonio, TX
- Angel Davila | National Maintenance Trainer, Monarch Investment & Management Group | Franktown, CO
- Dion Harris | Community Manager, Burkely Communities | Greensboro, NC
- Moneque Horsey | Director of Sales, BG Multifamily | Bala Cynwyd, PA
- Delila House | Regional Training Specialist, MAA | Germantown, TN
- Cristina Istrate | Asset Management Senior Analyst, FCP | Chevy Chase, MD
- Jeremiah Mangrum | Property Manager, Somerset Apartment Management | Little Rock, AR
- Jamie Medina | Property Manager, Bella Investment Group | Flagstaff, AZ
- Brian Polley | Senior Regional Manager, Sundance Property Management, LLC | Cincinnati, OH
- Sierra Rasmussen | Community Manager, Greystar | Portland, OR
- Camron Shelton | Regional Director, Centerspace | Minneapolis, MN
- Lynett Smith | Property Manager, Atlantic Pacific Management Company | McDonough, GA
- Gicel Suarez | Property Manager, Apartment Homes by Tonti | Metairie, LA
- Sara Wood | Director of Operations, Sunset Property Solutions | Cincinnati, OH
Within NAA’s Diversity Leadership Program, participants work in small groups to develop real solutions for advancing diversity and inclusion in rental housing. Watch the Capstone Presentations from the Class of 2021.
The Bridge Program
DLP Participants Monica Frazier, Meaghan Mannion and Wesley Dean present “The Bridge Program”, a year-long program designed to “bridge the gap” between corporate and onsite team members.
DLP Alumni and Mentor Network
DLP Participants Buddy Bryson, Jason Cantu and Staci Hasman present “Diversity Alumni Network and Resource Center”, a mostly virtual hub for knowledge and resource sharing for past, current and future members of the DLP program.
DLP Participants Samantha Harvey, Ishea Shepherd and Ruha Vorha present “Inclusive Spaces”, a network and education initiative for emerging leaders.
From Onsite to Insight
DLP Participants Dana Duckworth, Destiny Igiebor and Rita Khan present “From Onsite to Insight”, a comprehensive plan to move minority women from onsite and vendor suppliers to the executive level.
DLP Participants Crystal Dukes, Julianna Kim and Jessica Romero present “Diversity & Inclusion Hubspace”, a platform where individuals can share their stories, offer support, and access Diversity & Inclusion resources.