Music Licensing: Policy Issue


Like many American businesses that are consumer-facing and end-users of music, apartment communities traditionally play musical works in common areas such as reception/lobby spaces, leasing offices or elevators. It is also common for music to be played around pool facilities, in dining areas or along walking paths.

Additionally, in some apartment communities, access to music may also be provided in onsite fitness centers and clubhouses or similar social rooms or lounge spaces.  In accordance with the law regarding public performance of copyrighted musical works, owners and operators obtain licenses from Performing Rights Organizations (PROS), including ASCAP, BMI and others to play this music.

NAA Position

NAA believes its members should follow the federal copyright laws in obtaining appropriate licenses to play music in their communities. 

As an Owner or Operator, How Does this Affect My Business?

Depending on where and in what form music is played on your property, you may owe music licensing fees to one of the three PROs representing musical artists, writers, producers and others. 

Contact Information

To learn more about this issue, please contact NAA's Government Affairs team.

Related Content

Music Copyright and Licensing Addressed by…

Policymakers on and off Capitol Hill have been looking at music licensing and copyright issues, which are of importance to property operations throughout the multifamily industry. In recent weeks,…
Learn More

NAA and NMHC Submit Comments Regarding Music…

The National Apartment Association (NAA) and the National Multifamily Housing Council (NMHC) jointly submitted comments on August 9 in response to the request from the Antitrust Division of the U.S…
Learn More